Another Lincolnshire Highlights news story…
Shoppers at M&S in Lincoln had a shock this afternoon as they had to be evacuated.
Customers at the store in Tritton Road were ushered to the car park outside as smoke had started to fill part of the store.
One shopper Aimee Harrison said she had just entered the store just before 2pm today, Saturday, August 23, to start her shopping when she saw smoke over by the cafe area.
She said: “I walked in just before the alarm started going off. I saw the red alarm lights flashing and then saw a lot of smoke over by the cafe and spreading along the ceiling.
“The alarm started going off and stopping and no one seemed sure exactly what was going on.
“Staff started running around a bit.
“Once we were evacuated the staff gathered at the far end of the car park leaving all the customers gathered at the front of the store.
“There was still smoke lingering inside.”
There are claims that the issue was caused by a piece of ‘very burnt toast’ however this has not yet been confirmed.
Aimee added: “The staff mentioned that it was a piece of very burnt toast a few times and a customer stood near us said that her husband had ordered a sandwich and she had ordered toast and she was starting to wonder where her’s was when they started seeing the smoke.”